Gateway team confirm Inspector’s report now with Government
The Mersey Gateway Project team has today (Wednesday 3rd February) officially confirmed that the Inspector’s report from last summer’s public inquiry has now been passed to Government officials. .
Following the conclusion of the public inquiry into the plans to build a new bridge over the river Mersey between Runcorn and Widnes in July last year, the Inspector has been preparing the report that will be considered jointly by the Secretaries of State for Transport and Communities & Local Government before they make a final decision on whether the project can go ahead.
Councillor Tony McDermott, Leader of Halton Borough Council and Chair of the Mersey Gateway Executive Board, was pleased that confirmation has been received. He said: “Now that we know the Inspector’s report is with the relevant people in Government, we are growing ever closer to receiving a final decision on whether this important project can go ahead.”
“We are continuing to press through every available channel for a quick decision that will allow us to proceed to the procurement stage at the earliest opportunity.”
Steve Nicholson, Mersey Gateway Project Director, expressed his satisfaction at the news and added that the project team was continuing to work hard behind the scenes. He said: “It’s good to receive confirmation that the report from the public inquiry is with the Government.
“Although there has been a delay in the Inspector’s report being passed to Government we are looking forward to the project being approved in time for the procurement process to commence later in the year. The project team are undertaking crucial preparation work so that construction can start within two years of the project receiving approval. “