The main objectives of the project are to;
- relieve the congested Silver Jubilee Bridge, thereby removing the constraint on local and regional development and better provide for local transport needs,
- apply minimum toll and road user charges to both the Mersey Gateway Bridge and the SJB consistent with the level required to satisfy the affordability constraints,
- improve accessibility in order to maximise local development and regional economic growth opportunities,
- improve local air quality and enhance the general urban environment,
- improve public transport links across the River Mersey,
- encourage the increased use of cycling and walking, and
- restore effective network resilience for road transport across the River Mersey.